iPhone 4s Top Tips For Better Battery Life
One of the first things that I noticed when i first started using my iPhone 4s was how bad the battery was. It literally lasted 5 hours without any usage at all! This of course was not accurate and the iPhone 4s is capable of working for many many more hours with usage as well! But there are a number of points that one should follow in order to ensure that you get as much choice and even more than was intended.
First of all you need to check if your iPhone 4s is running a little dodgy or not. Go into your settings and General then Usage. Scroll down to the bottom of the screen and you should see something like in my screenshot above. My screenshot shows a healthy iPhone. As you can see my standby time is much higher than my usage time. Just over an hour and a half of usage (thats just some text messages, reading/responding to some emails and taking a couple of calls) where as my standby time is over seventeen hours. Thats a typical day for me. The battery power as you can see is only 28% down!
If your usage time is the same as your standby time, then there is something wrong and the best thing to do is to do a factory reset on your phone and set it all up again form scratch (without using your iCloud or iTunes backup). Bear in mind though, that by doing this you will lose all of your data, contacts, photos etc. The best thing to do is to back up everything onto iCloud and then once you have finished with the reset, synch your phone with iCloud and you should have everything back, including your contacts. Just make sure you donít restore your iPhone from a backup when the phone asks you.
Here is a list of things to do to make sure your iPhone 4s battery lasts as long as it can:
- Turn Off Bluetooth and WIFI when you are not actively using it
- If you are at home or in the office, its best to have WIFI turned on that leaving the phone on 3G. The phone is more efficient on WIFI than it is on 3G. In fact, whilst on WIFI you can turn cellular data off completely.
- Turn off location services for the applications that donít really need it. The more applications using locations the more battery you will drain. (settings/Location Services)
- In Location Services, scroll down to the bottom and go into System Services. Turn off Diagnostic & usage, Location-Based iAds and Setting Time-zone (I also have Traffic turned off) (settings/general/location services/system services)
- Go into your General Settings and then click on Restrictions. If its the first time you go there, it will ask you to create a passcode. Once you are in you will see a list of applications, scroll down until you see the íPingí application and turn it off. (settings/general/restrictions)
- Limit the number of apps that show up in the notification centre. (settings/notifications)
- Double tap the Home button to see what apps are running, Kill any of the apps you donít need by long pressing the icon and then clicking on the X. This frees up memory and CPU, thus less battery being used. (For Android users, this is also a handy back button!!)
Although I canít really confirm any of the following points, some people tend to think that these things also improve your battery life:
- Turn off the battery % on the status bar, apparently this screws up the battery as well.
- By all means turn on your Find My Phone service, but donít have the application that you download from the AppStore running.
- Donít have the Find My Friend app running in the background either.
If you do all of the above you are sure to get at least 2 days out of your iPhone 4s before it needs to be charged (thats based on my own normal 2-3 hours usage a day of course, you will get more or less depending on how much you use it).
Follow this steps and youíre sure to be a happy iPhone 4s user regardless of what OS you came from.
*by the way, if you want to take a screenshot of your iPhone, simply hold the home button and quickly tap the power button :)